Wednesday, February 4, 2015

February 2nd-February 6th

10th Grade- Poetry Projects were due on Tuesday and we had a unit 13 vocabulary quiz today (Wednesday). We are starting to work grammar and will be discussing subject-verb agreement the rest of the week. We are asking for $6.50 from each student so that we can purchase John Steinbeck's The Pearl. We hope to start this the week after next. Until then, we will be working with some common grammar errors in preparation for the research paper we will write on The Pearl after we read.

11th Grade- We are starting Modernism this week and took our unit 13 vocabulary quiz today (Wednesday). We will be reading "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" and responding to some analytical questions about the poem in groups. Students who will be absent need to be checking Edmodo regularly. I will post a copy of these questions to the Edmodo group.

12th Grade- We are studying sonnets this week. We discussed some Elizabethan Theatre history on Monday and discussed different forms and styles of sonnets Tuesday and today. Tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday we will analyze sonnets and students will be required to write their own sonnet in iambic pentameter. This sonnet will be due Monday. Third period took their unit 13 vocabulary quiz today and 2nd period will take it tomorrow.

Below you will find my make up work policy. I am explaining this policy to your students tomorrow and sending a hard copy of this home. It should have been attached to my course syllabus and I apologize that it was not. If you have any questions about this please contact me.


Make-Up Work Policy
**Please consider this an addition to the class rubric
Each student will have an opportunity to make up any work they missed so long as the absence is excused by the office. The student will have three days upon returning to make up missed assignments. The students need to stay in constant communication with the teacher. I do not want make-up work to be a source of tension for students, but if they do not communicate with me I will have to assume they have chosen to not make up the assignment.
All work that is able to be made-up will be marked in Achieve as a grade of 1/100. The purpose of this method is two-fold. It is designed to assist parents in recognizing what work needs to be made up and to help students see how choosing to NOT make up the work will affect their overall grade. Once the assignment is past-due, the grade will be changed to a 0.
Often I encourage students to make up tests and quizzes with me as I am at school most mornings by 7:00 a.m. and stay after school most afternoons. There will be times, however, that I will need to leave tests with Mrs. Garret to be taken Friday mornings. Again, communication with me is key.
If you have any questions about this policy, please do not hesitate to email me.


Miss Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment