Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Week in Review: January 5th-9th

Hello to my new students and parents,

My name is Emily Carter and I am the new High School English teacher at Pike Lib. I am so excited to start this journey with each of you!

Parents- I sent home a parents letter with your student this past week with more information about me and my class. Please remind them to get that to you.

Here is what we've been up to:

10th- We are started a poetry unit this week. We will be reviewing poetic devices and discussing how those devices help us identify the theme and purpose of a poem.

11th- We discussed characteristics of the Dark Romantics and are wrapping up Romanticism with a mini-project. Each student will create a storyboard on StoryBoardThat.com about Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven." They must find alliteration, symbolism, repetition, internal rhyme, and imagery in the poem and illustrate it in their storyboard. This will be due Tuesday (01/13).

12th- We have been discussing King Arthur and some of the history that inspires his legend. We took our first quiz Friday.

I also want parents to know that we are still on for the Alabama Shakespeare Festival Field Trips this spring. Mrs. Jordan and I are working together to get things ready and we are so looking forward to it. I will post more on this next week.

Again, I am so excited to have the opportunity to teach your students. They are already finding that special place in my heart. If you ever need to reach me, my school email is on the school website, but the best way to reach me outside of school is ecarterpikelib@gmail.com (this email is hooked up to my phone). Let's make this a great year and Go Patriots!

No comments:

Post a Comment